I’m so sorry for not updating this blog for quite a while. I’ve been busy during the holidays and it’s only now I found time to post a new recipe. Chocolate caramel cake is an all time favorite in my home and this is so far the best recipe I have tried. This one is from food.com.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 30 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 9×13″ baking pan.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together using a whisk.
- In a large mixing bowl, on low speed combine the buttermilk, sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla and the flour mixture until blended.
- Beat on high speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally, for an additional l3 minutes.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the caramels and sweetened condensed milk together.
- After the first baking time, spread the caramel mixture over the warm cake. Put the remaining batter on top of the caramel and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Serve warmed is best in my opinion topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.